August 22, 2009

Malibu Triathlon Training: Day 28

August 19
Despite mapping out my ride before I hit the road, I only ended up going 15.75 miles last time -- and that was including a couple of unplanned, minor sidestreet detours along the way (hey, we all need to catch our breath sometimes). So on this ride I was determined to top 16 miles.

I altered the route ever so slightly, skipping the turn at Fairview that dumped me off on McBean, which allowed me to continue through to Newhall Ranch Road and then to McBean, which would give me the extra bit of distance I needed to push me over the top.


I felt pretty good on this ride and I was fairly certain I would be celebrating another Personal Record for both distance and pace when I was done. But I got stuck behind a jogger right before the Newhall Ranch Road turnaround around mile 14 (we were both the sidewalk going in the opposite direction of traffic, so I couldn't really just jump onto the asphalt to pass him) and had to slow down for a hundred yards or so. I'm not saying this screwed up my entire ride, but it did take me out of my rhythm, so I'm sticking with that theory.

I ended up going 16.19 miles in 1:08:00, which comes out to a 4:12 pace. This was actually 2 seconds slower than my last ride, but I blame the jogger for that (not really). On the plus side, I was able to make it all the way up Hillsborough (that's a 6% grade, people! Right on the cusp of a steep climb) without a sidestreet rest, and that made it a memorable ride for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment