August 7, 2009

Malibu Triathlon Training: Day 20

July 31
For this ride I took the same route as last time, but I added a couple sidestreet pitstops, just to increase the distance a little bit in an effort to hit the 10-mile mark (milestone!). The ride itself was fairly vanilla and I don't remember too much about it. Mostly, as you've probably noticed, because I didn't get a good GPS signal and lost my ride metrics.

Now I know this isn't about recording ride metrics and seeing how awesome I am. First of all, I'm not that awesome. And B, I am a huge stats dork* and I really like looking at the metrics and comparing my performance over time.



So I was (understandably?) pissed when I got home and looked at the deformed map Runkeeper spit out at me on its website. The only thing it did (possibly) record properly was my total time, which was 46:07. Over the 9.87-mile course, that works out to a 4:40 pace, which would be a new personal best. Unfortunately, the Croation judge didn't sign off on the accuracy of the Runkeeper time clock, so my record was stricken from the PRB (Personal Record Book).

While I lost my splits, actual recorded distance and calories burned stats, I was still able to track my ride thanks to another website, MapMyRide.com. The layout and map aren't quite as easy to read as Runkeeper's, but they'll do in a pinch. I just hope ths doesn't happen again, otherwise I'm going to have a beef with Runkeeper and its stupid free iPhone app self!

* I once organized and executed a full, 162-game Strat-O-Matic baseball season with 3 other guys one summer. If you're not familiar with Strat-O-Matic, think of it as the Dungeons & Dragons of sports. And then think about it: 162 games over the course of roughly 90 days. Yeah, it's sports. But it's still somewhat pathetic, no?

1 comments:

Liz said...

I dunno, I think you're pretty awesome.

Post a Comment