August 20, 2009

Malibu Triathlon Training: Day 27

August 17
The start of a new week means a new target distance. Since I'm riding at night, I try to keep my routes both close to home and in areas that either have sufficient bike trails/lanes or are relatively free of cars at that hour.

Planning out new routes that match the distance I need while meeting the above criteria is actually the most challenging part of this whole undertaking. After several unsuccessful attempts on my new friend Trail Guru, I finally found a 16-mile loop. All of my previous loops were just that --actual loops that followed a logical path -- but for this one I had to take what I could get. And I actually had to study the route and memorize all the turns and directions. I even had to include an out-and-back section in order to get to 16 miles.


For the first time since I started with these cycling shenanigans, I actually felt a big difference in the relatively modest(14%) increase in distance. And somewhere between miles 11 and 12, something strange happened. Well, nothing really happened, but I have no recollection of that 4-minute stretch. But I do remember snapping out of it -- whatever "it" was. I was in the industrial area of town and it was pretty much just me and the road; no cars, no pedestrians and really no sound other than the noises I was making. So maybe I found a perfect pedaling rhythm or got into a cadence that put me into some kind of trance, but either way it was weird.

Other than that, I had a good ride despite the fact that when all was said and done, Runkeeper informed me I had only gone 15.75 miles. But I did it at a 4:10 pace, which was a full 11 seconds faster than my last ride. I'm actually starting to be a little impressed with myself. That's OK ... right?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment