June 29, 2009

Malibu Triathlon Training: Day 5

June 15
Day 5 was a fairly uneventful ride; I was back to what seemed to become my default route. Down, around and back up again, finishing with the Hill From Hell that continues to kick my (fat) ass. Despite being more of the same, there are a couple pieces of trivia worth noting in my quest for endurance, efficiency and the ability to not want to pass out at the end of a ride:

1) I passed the 4-mile mark, traveling 4.01 miles, to be exact
2) This was my first ride with only one day's rest



These are fairly insignificant facts in the bigger picture of trying to go 18 miles, but they're milestones nonetheless and I'm not going to downplay them. I will point out that I'm now realizing the Grand Canyon-esque difference between being 28 and 38. While I didn't fell all that much different at 38 than I did when I was 28 (unless the early Alzheimer's has already kicked in), my body made it very clear very quickly that I will not be getting in shape easily, and that "rest and recovery" is a very, very real (and vital) part of training!

0 comments:

Post a Comment