June 25, 2009

Malibu Triathlon Training: Day 2

June 6
My second day of training was a little better than the first, in that I was able to actually ride the entire route. Except I had to stop halfway up the Hill From Hell, in order to avoid falling over into the street and becoming roadkill. At this point I'm still really learning my bike, and which gears work the best for various situations. On this day, I wasn't getting much "bang for my buck," as I was spinning but not really accelerating.


The stats on the map pretty much tell the story. I went slightly farther than I did on Day 1, but I was also a little bit slower. I think part of the reason is that I was riding during the day, when it was a little warmer than my night ride three days earlier. I was also low on energy; we had spent the morning at Dash's swimming lesson, and then running around before getting home in time for his nap, and I hadn't really eaten much up to that point.

So it was a good day, in that I was able to go farther and ride the entire distance. But I was also reminded that using energy requires prior intake of energy in order to stay conscious. I just hope that lesson sticks with me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment