June 18, 2009

The Countdown







Since my son Dash was born about three-and-a-half years ago, just about the only exercise I get has been chasing him around the backyard with a light saber. I've always considered myself an active person, but having a kid and a 90-minute daily commute pretty much sucks up all my time and energy. I really do want to move my body and get my sweat on, but it seems the longer I'm inactive the harder it gets to motivate.

So when a co-worker announced that he was putting together several relay teams to participate (note I did not say "compete") in this year's Malibu Nautica Triathlon, I saw it as an opportunity. Of course, I knew there was no way I would be able to get myself in shape in time to complete all three events, so I signed up for a relay. I decided to take on the cycling leg, which is an 18-mile jaunt along PCH.


The reasons I picked cycling are threefold:
1) I don't have easy access to the ocean
2) Running and I have a hate-hate relationship
3) I already own a bike


Of course, said bike has been collecting cobwebs for close to 10 years, so I knew it was going to take some time to get it road-ready. I replaced the tubes and bought a foot pump and lights, since I knew I'd have to do most of training at night. I started my training on June 3rd, and I'm using an (Apple) iPhone app called RunKeeper to track my progress, which has already been a great motivator.

I'm going to be posting my progress as my training continues, and hopefully in the next 12 weeks I'll feel ready to tackle the triathlon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment