July 9, 2009

Sakic Says So Long

Joe Sakic, the longtime captain of the Colorado Avalanche, will announce his retirement later today. Over the course of his 20-year NHL career, Sakic racked up 1,641 points, which puts him 8th on the all-time scoring list. Along the way he also made 12 All-Star appearances, won 2 Stanley Cups, a Conn Smythe Trophy (MVP of the playoffs), a Hart (league MVP), a Lady Byng (sportsmanship) and a Pearson (MVP as judged by peers). There's no doubt he'll be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2012, his first year of eligibilty.

It goes without saying that this is the end of an era in Colorado, as Sakic has been the face of the franchise since it moved to Denver from Quebec prior to the 1995-96 season. But this is also the end of an era for me. I first got into hockey sometime around 1991, when Sakic was in his fourth NHL season with the Nordiques. He hadn't become a star yet, but I was drawn to him for reasons I can't remember anymore. It might have been his humility, his grace under fire, or maybe just the fact that he was a lefty like me. Or it could've just been the fact that he's got a really cool last name.

Anyway, I continued to follow his career closely, and I was probably the happiest person in California (and maybe even the only one aware) in 1996 when he led the Avalanche to the franchise's first Stanley Cup. Not only did Colorado win the Cup, but Sakic was brilliant throughout the playoffs, tallying 34 points and winning the Conn Smythe Trophy.

While I loved watching his blistering wrist shot and seemingly effortless movements on the ice, I was always equally impressed with his class, dignity and respect for the game and his fellow players. He never fought, he never complained ... I don't even think he ever scowled. He just played the game the way it was meant to be played, and he just happened to be really good at it. I tried to model my own game after his, constantly working on my wrist shot to make it as deadly accurate as his, trying to always be a gentleman on the ice ... I even wore his #19 whenever I had the opportunity.

This is the end of an era for me not only because Sakic is my favorite hockey player, but also because he's the last professional athlete I thought of as a role model. When you hit your late 30s, there aren't a lot of pros still playing you can look up to (and looking up to an athlete who's younger than oneself is just kind of sad and creepy), and Sakic -- who turned 40 on July 7 -- was the last one in my eyes. Because beyond the statistics, awards and accolades, there was the character. He was a leader, but not in an "I'm the captain, I'll get in anyone's face if I need to" sort of way. He inspired his teammates with quiet excellence and showed them that winning was important, but doing it with class and dignity was just as important.

I see a lot of myself in Sakic (or maybe I see a lot of him in me), as I've always tried to be humble and lead by example. I've never achieved the same level of success that Sakic reached in his career, but it's something I aspire to. I'm sad to see Joe Sakic's career come to end, but not because I'll miss watching him play. I'm sad because it means that I won't be able to take my son to a game, point to #19 and say, "Watch that guy. That's one of Daddy's heroes."

0 comments:

Post a Comment